The Chris Henderson Story
Keywords: Chris Henderson, Planning Commission, James City County Republican Committee, James City County, JCC, Board of Supervisors, Ethics, Integrity, Republican Committee, Vote, Special Interests, Development, Developers, Real Estate, Taxes, Williamsburg, York, County, Kennedy, Goodson, Jones, Henderson, Virginia, Politics, Conflict of Interest, Misuse of office.
12/9/2008 Update - Public Comment to BOS indicating it was time for change when Mr. Henderson's term on the Planning Commission expires this January. Anything else would only condon his unethical behavior. Mr. Henderson's mud slinging, slander, threats and attempted intimidation has only left he and his supporters covered with mud for I am not a politician and am immune to such political and unethical tactics. All Mr. Henderson accomplished other than soiling himself and his supporters was to open up James City County to a potential multimillion dollar lawsuit. Transcripts forthcoming.
8/9/2008 Update - Chris, you are your own worst enemy. As if you did not have enough baggage already, your 7+ minute tirade at the 8/6/08 Planning Commission meeting just gave you another 50 lbs worth to check. You should take a lesson from a more seasoned Politician, Mr. Goodson, who simply watches attentively and then proceeds to ignore my remarks.
Watch Chris's Tirade (best with Internet Explorer?)
On the Menu, Click on 5C Readoption of Emergency Ordinance, and then jump to 22:45 into the segment for Chris's comments. I'll be publishing my rebuttal with the "facts" for you.
If the James City County Republican Committee had not already determined you were a severe liability, I suspect they are rethinking that just about now. The only thing worse than an unfounded personal attack on a citizen critic might be the revelation of an extramarital affair! (note to self)
Remember my public comment about a storm brewing and spreading? Well you are the lightening rod in that storm and I have now heard the thunder. Your reaction reflects poorly on your fellow Republicans on the James City County Board of Supervisors that appointed you only after you and the James City County Republican Committee deceptively contributed thousands ($18k+) to their Campaigns this past fall. After 8 years you finally found a way to get on the Planning Commission. This reflects poorly on you and all that promote you, including the Republican Supervisors and the James City County Republican Committee.
Resign now and pledge to refrained from any future elected or appointed positions in James City County and the storm will pass. Spare the Supervisors and the James City County Republican Committee further embarrassment.
8/12/08 Public Comment to Board of Supervisors on Code of Ethics and Henderson's slanderous comments.
From the James City County Republican Committee's website:
Let's remember what Sir Edmond Burke said,"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing."
Get involved JCC residents, lets put this nonsense to rest.
This is where my campaign for ethical government began. I had recently put my name in to serve my community on the Wetlands and Chesapeake Bay Boards, a position that is assigned by the Board of Supervisors (BOS) from a pool of volunteers. I also put in as my second choice serving on the Water Conservation Committee.
While attending a Planning Commission (PC) meeting featuring the Villages at Fords Colony application, a public speaker stood up to address concerns about the appointment of Chris Henderson to the PC. This speaker was simply requesting that Mr. Henderson recuse himself from the decision of the PC on this one case and brought to my attention several disturbing facts which I have further researched and found that:
- Mr. Henderson was the chair of the JCC Republican Committee prior to the November 2007 Board of Supervisors elections and up to his appointment to the Planning Commission.
- Mr. Henderson donated $5000 of his own money and raised $17,500 towards the campaigns of the three Republican BOS candidates through the JCC Republican Committee. Follow The Money
- This money was raised from 4 developers including Mr. Henderson and are not representative of "typical" contributions which are in the order of $50-$250. Follow The Money
- This money was not recorded until after the last filing deadline before the November 2007 election and thus was not known until after the election was long over. It seems like this was intentional since I understand this has happened in the past.
- The Republicans, maintained one seat (Bruce Goodson) and took over 2 seats (Jim Kennedy and Mary Jones) to gain the majority on the five member BOS.
- The night of the election (11/6/2007) after the results were clear, Mr. Henderson sent 2 emails that clearly indicated his position on the Villages at Fords Colony/CCRC case and also tipped the hand of the Republican Supervisors. He clearly indicated a predisposition for approval of this development by both himself and his Republican friends on the BOS.
- Immediately after the installation of the 2 new Supervisors (Jones & Kennedy) who vacated positions on the Planning Commission, Mr. Henderson was appointed by the three Republican Supervisors to the Planning Commission. The two remaining Supervisors objected to this appointment.
To me and others, this clearly leaves the impression that Mr. Henderson bought the election for the Republican candidates, hid this fact until after the election, and was immediately rewarded for his efforts and fund raising by being appointed to the Planning Commission by the three Republican Supervisors over the objection of the remaining two Supervisors.
For all intents and purposes, it appears as if Mr. Henderson bought his way onto the Planning Commission. This clearly violates the JCC Code of Ethics which all BOS and PC members have signed according to the JCC Attorneys office.
The only retort those involved in these unethical actions have is that they have not broken any laws. Granted, no laws have been broken (at this point in the story) and I have not accused anyone of breaking the law, but I have indicated that the people involved are not the type that I as a citizen of JCC want working as our public servants. If you agree, please contact me.
More to come...
Reprints by Permission